Saturday 18 April 2015

Perfect Roast Chicken | Happy 35th Birthday Zimbabwe!

On Zimbabwe's Independence day, I had been planning to go all out, making one of my favourite Zim "traditional" meals - Rice with peanut butter, chicken stew and any fried leafy greens. This meal honestly makes my heart skip a beat..yup, thats my relationship with food in general :D

After all that planning, I felt too tired after being at school all day so I did this crispy, juicy roast chicken instead- my love for chicken clearly runs deep haha!


 

I used half a chicken here to make sure I would be able to finish it over the next few days (uni life)..:/
I seasoned it using a mixture of :
1 tablespoon cajun spice
60 ml soy sauce
Salt and pepper.
I mixed this all together and then rubbed it into the chicken.


On an oven rack, I put a layer of sliced of lemon and put cloves of garlic (with skin on) on top and then finally placed the chicken on top remembering to tuck the wing in to prevent it from burning.
If you're making a full chicken, you can put a lemon half and whole garlic into the cavity. Put it into a heated oven for around 60 minutes (half a chicken) or 90 minutes (full chicken) at 375 degrees Farenheit or until the juices run clear when you cut through it.

NB: Putting the chicken on a rack instead of placing it directly into the pan ensures that the chicken cooks evenly as heat goes right round the elevated chicken. Also, leaving the garlic cloves in their skin stops the garlic from burning before the chicken is cooked through.
 
I hope you try it and love it as much as I did!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment